2023 is shaping up to be the year of artificial intelligence (AI). In case you’ve been away on a tropical island without Internet access for the last several months, you have seen AI popping up everywhere. First it started showing up in graphic design (apps like Canva) and now it has taken over the Google algorithm, and has surged in popularity and usage for writing content in the last several months.
Perhaps you’ve heard all the buzz around ChatGPT? But can AI really replace professional copywriters?
My simple answer is No.
But first, what is AI?
AI systems are highly sophisticated and FAST to produce content. It’s also no secret that artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly changing the way we work, and copywriting is no exception. But, their ability to replace a real human is not quite there yet. While AI can certainly do a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to copywriting, it is still far from being able to replace skilled copywriters.
Pros of AI:
- AI is great at picking up on patterns and identifying trends
- AI can help copywriters by providing them with valuable data-driven insights
- AI can also be used to automate certain tasks like keyword research and content optimization
It’s FAST. AI can churn out content in seconds, whereas it may take a copywriter hours, days or even weeks to do the same.
Cons of AI:
- It can’t create compelling stories or come up with creative ideas. Professional copywriters have the ability to connect with readers on an emotional level and create powerful, memorable messages that resonate with their target audience.
- AI doesn’t understand what works and what doesn’t, and can’t craft copy that speaks to the needs and desires of the reader.
- It can’t replace a human copywriter’s creativity and intuition.
AI is built on millions and millions of data points and can create average copy in a matter of seconds, but at this time, it’s not capable of replacing the truly intangible human aspects like storytelling and intuition. It’s not capable of creating connection and emotion.
Did you know that the Google algorithm is now detecting AI created content? The Google algorithm (which is also ironically AI itself) now rates your content and detects if it is AI generated. If it is flagged as AI content, then Google will not rank it at the top of search, no matter how well your post is optimized for SEO or how unique your keywords may be. Keep that in mind next time you try to rank your article or post on Google using Chat GPT or Jasper to write for you.
Here’s the thing… AI is here and it’s here to stay. The best way I can see using AI is to use it to help you write content (i.e. blog posts, social media posts, emails, video scripts, etc) but don’t rely on it to do all the work for you. AI is amazing at coming up with an outline or ideas for your content, but make sure you’re also personalizing it and adding in real human elements like storytelling. AI can even help you overcome writer’s block quickly, like I had when writing this post.
Can you tell what parts of this post were written by AI? AI is truly amazing, but it’s also a robot. Don’t forget to keep it human.